Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Iceland Pt. 2









okay, so i'm now back home but of course i haven't managed to get through all my travel photos yet. hell, i spent two & a half months in the US after iceland, which was at the start of august. i'll aim to get it all edited and posted by the end of the year but we'll see how it goes. in the meantime, i've redesigned my blog layout because i was so sick of looking at the old one. this is a lot cleaner and more fresh, hopefully you'll agree. :)





the reykjanes peninsula lava fields made from jagged, solidified lava from volcanic eruptions of the past, now completely covered in a thick layer of moss that we walked over, eating berries the guide picked from a bush, the beach of lake kleifarvatn with its sand made black with volcanic ash, driving past mountains that used to be sea cliffs until they raised up when the ice that was weighing them down melted, greenhouses with little icelandic tomatoes cuddled close inside to the keep them from the cold, bright red earth and grassy mountains with fat woolly sheep perched impractically on the sides of them, the cracked, tormented earth of the seltun and gunnuhver geothermal hot springs, where clouds of sulphurous steam rise from the ground and envelope you before they’re blown away by the freezing winds, hot chocolate and a generous slice of cake in a little cafe in the fishing village of grindavik with pictures of bjork and john lennon on the wall and a piano in the corner that our guide played while we ate, swimming in the warm, milky water of the blue lagoon and applying face masks with hundreds of people in the middle of lava fields, driving past the incredible landscapes of iceland with volcanoes topped with glaciers on one side and lava blackened deserts leading to the atlantic ocean on the other, little houses with red and blue roofs taking shelter at the base of huge mountains, a boat ride through the icebergs on the lagoon of the vatnajokull glacier, the 60m skogarfoss and 65m seljalandfoss waterfalls, seeing the clouds lowering themselves over the peaks on the drive home, making friends on the tour and meeting up at midnight at the perlan just in case the northern lights showed up (they didn’t, but it was worth trying even though i had to leave for the airport at 7am).





















































19 comments:

  1. Welcome back! The new layout looks great too.

    Aah these photos have put Iceland firmly on my bucket list! I love those little wooly sheep on the hills aha. Swimming in the Blue Lagoon looks amazing. Seeing the Northern Lights would've been perfect but I think I would've died of jealousy hearing about it haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These photos are absolutely incredible, and making me miss Iceland so much. It truly is one of the most unique places I've ever visited!

    Tessa / Bramble & Thorn

    ReplyDelete
  3. These photos are devastatingly beautiful. There is rugged rawness - and almost otherworldly magical-ness - to environment here that is so incredibly compelling. One can see why, harsh as it must have been, early settlers opted to remain here after leaving Europe.

    I swear, the universe is trying to tell me that I need to visit Iceland. In book after book I've been reading, lately which didn't focus on Iceland, there have been mentions of it. I keep seeing beautiful photos like these stunning ones and really do believe I'm meant to set foot on this marvelous land one day.

    ♥ Jessica

    *PS* Sweet dear, thank you deeply for your caring, understanding and truly kind comment on Tuesday's outfit post (it brought tears to my eyes - few people in all the years I've been chronically ill now, have ever been so kind as to say anything even close to what you said to me).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I am dying to go to Iceland, it looks like stepping into another world, even a different planet, everything is so different, compared to what I'm used to. First and last photos are groundbreaking. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just stumbled across your blog and I'm blown away by these images. Iceland is a dream of mine. Was it easy travelling to? I've heard mixed responses

    ReplyDelete
  6. The photos from your travels have simply taken my breath away!!! You've truly captured the essence of all of the places you visited and just by looking at your beautiful photos I feel like I'm there. Amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Iceland is so beautiful! I can't wait to see the rest of your photos! I hope you had an amazing trip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nature has SO much beauty to offer and you've really captured a lot of it in this post. I really had no idea how picturesque Iceland was - thank you for opening my eyes! :)

    http://aglassofice.blogspot.co.uk

    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have such a keen eye for beauty, I absolutely love looking at your photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's it; I'm going to Iceland after seeing your photos!! Thank you for sharing these beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. jessicaaaa this is amazing! i've wanted to go to iceland for years, and your photos make me want to go just that little bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Iceland is incredible and you took such pretty pictures! I look forward seeing more photos, hope you manage to edit them soon, but I understand sometimes it is a little bit complicated ( I haven't finished with my summer photos either and I just left two weeks!) Anyway, love your new space, it is much cleaner and beautiful now

    ReplyDelete
  13. Iceland seems like such an amazing place! I love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Iceland seems like a hidden travel gem, as I don't know too many people who have been. Based on your photos, it's breathtakingly gorgeous! I hope to go one day, but till then your photos take me there :)

    Mili

    ReplyDelete
  15. Iceland doesn't look like it belongs to this planet,it's crazy, it look so magical :3

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is the second blog post of Iceland I have seen this week and my heart can't handle it!!! It is beyond beautiful and damn those waterfalls look incredible <3 I wish we had something like that in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Welcome back home, Jess! I only travelled through Europe for six weeks and it took me almost a year to get all my posts up from my trip on my blog! I'm usually pretty slack with updating my blog, but it's even harder with travel photos when you take so many, have to weed them out from the ones you don't want to post and then edit and upload them! I can't even imagine how many you have after five months!

    I've never really given much thought to Iceland apart from, 'Oh hey, that's where Björk and Sigur Rós are from', but at the same time, I've always been somewhat fascinated by it as I hear the sun sets super early even in the summer and from listening to Sigur Rós' music, the language seems so interesting. Seeing your beautiful, beautiful photos has cemented the fact that I definitely need to travel there one day. I'd love to see volcanoes and icebergs and everything that is just so vastly different from the environment here in Australia. I get this eerie and mysterious, yet breathtakingly gorgeous vibe about the country from your photos and even though the Northern Lights didn't show up at least now you know. You could've missed out on that opportunity and that would be even worse!

    http://likeneonlove.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so gorgeous. I visited Scandinavian countries two years ago, I kinda regret not going to Iceland. Love your travel posts. :)

    ReplyDelete