Thursday, April 16, 2015

In My Secret Life: 2




Amelie Dress*, Bandana Bertie Jumper* and French Market Cream Scarf* C/- Joules | Shoes: ASOS (similar) | Belt: Alannah Hill (old)

You'd be forgiven for thinking that Joules might be a French brand given the abundance of Breton striped garments on their website, but they are actually English, and aside from Breton stripes they also have beautiful silk scarves, pretty dresses and jumpers with cute animals on them in abundance. Is is really uncool to colour co-ordinate with the dog on your jumper? Yeah probably, but don't tell me how to live my life. Clearly I'm a rebel without a cause.




I thought I'd do another one of those general life updates even though my life is pretty much just going to work, going to gigs and hanging with friends. Oh, and eating and online shopping of course - my two greatest talents. So much so that I can combine them and buy some of the food I enjoyed in New York from iHerb.com. Not just good for Real Techniques brushes, you can also buy cinnamon bunny grahams, cinnamon raisin swirl peanut butter(!!), delicious yogi tea and chai and jasmine flavoured chocolate, because we all know the best kinds of food taste like cinnamon or flowers.

Other things of interest include:
- this blog post from Tenneil about why blogging is awesome
- this incredible article about Kendrick Lamar's To Pimp A Butterfly
- this video of Drake signing about ice cream and candy. IF ONLY HE WERE SINGING TO ME! :(






Now um, usually I don't do this but uh, I'm gonna go ahead and break you off with a lil rundown of what I've been listening to lately (please tell me someone gets my reference). There's a bunch of music I wanted to talk about this month so I thought it'd be easiest for me to create a little playlist like Tenneil always does, even though it doesn't flow and covers about five different genres, but hey, that's my vibe.

I got super into Jeff Buckley's Be Your Husband about a year ago and have only just realised it's actually a cover of an incredible Nina Simone song and that her version is even better. I've been a fan of Hank Williams for several years but have only just become hooked on Ramblin' Man after a friend played it on guitar while hanging out on his balcony one night. And I seem to be collecting versions of I'll Take Care of You. Gil Scott-Heron, Gil Scott-Heron & Jamie XX and of course baby boy Drizzy & Rihanna and now Van Morrison whose covers of that and Dylan's It's All Over Now, Baby Blue are just beautiful. I've not paid much attention to him in the past but I will from now on.

For some original songs now, The National released a new one and as we all know they are flawless and can do no wrong. I have been obsessing over Kendrick's new album and I honestly can't remember the last time an album so rich/potent/moving/socially and politically significant was released. That album is so much more than just music. And finally, I've been dipping my toes in the pool of southern hip hop with a bunch of Outkast who I have been enjoying more and more since seeing them live last year. Hope you like at least one or more of these songs, haha.


1. Be My Husband - Nina Simone
2. Be Your Husband - Jeff Buckley
3. Ramblin' Man - Hank Williams
4. I'll Take Care of You - Van Morrison
5. It's All Over Now, Baby Blue - Van Morrison
6. Sunshine On My Back - The National
7. King Kunta - Kendrick Lamar
8. Ain't No Thang - OutKast














No comments:

Post a Comment